Cream cheese is a mild tasting soft, creamy cheese made from cream and milk. It makes a fantastic spread on bread and crackers. It also makes a great base for dips and cheese cake. This fresh cheese is also easy to make. It is a great option for beginners in cheese making.
1. 3.7 L whole milk (don’t use ultra pasteurized or UHT milk.
2. 470 ml heavy cream (you can use ultra pasteurized cream)
4. 2 drops of liquid rennet mixed with 2 tablespoons of water
5. 1/8 teaspoon Calcium Chloride
6. 1 teaspoon cheese salt
7. herbs and spices (optional)
1. large pot
2. a good thermometer
3. ladle or spoon
4. large colander
5. butter muslin or cheese cloth
Reminder: Sanitize all your equipment before making cheese.
1. Put the milk and cream in a pot. Heat the mixture to 23.80 C.
2. Remove the milk from the heat. Add the calcium chloride if using pasteurized milk.
3. Sprinkle the mesophilic culture on the surface of the milk. Let it rehydrate for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir for less than a minute to thoroughly mix the culture with the milk.
4. Add the rennet mixture. Stir the milk gently in an up and down motion so the rennet will mix with the milk well. Stir for a minute.
5. Cover the pot and let the milk set for 14 to 16 hours at 210 C to 230 C.
6. After 14 to 16 hours, you’ll notice that the milk now looks like a yogurt. It seems solid if tipped, but it is also soft. You will also see the whey separating from the cheese.
7. Line the colander with butter muslin or cheesecloth.
8. Ladle the curds into the colander.
9. Pull the sides of the butter muslin and tie it into a knot.
10. Hang the butter muslin with the curds over a bowl to drain the whey. Let the curds drain for 6 to 12 hours depending on your desired consistency. Shorter draining time would give you a looser and moister cheese. A longer draining period would result in a dryer cheese.
11. After draining, knead some salt into the cheese to flavor. If desired, you can add your preferred herbs and spices.
12. Store your cream cheese in the refrigerator. Use it within a week.
Cream cheese is very versatile and can be used in many ways. Aside from being a delicious spread for bread and crackers, cream cheese is a popular cooking ingredient. It is popularly used to make cheesecake. It is also added to sauces to make it creamy. Cream cheese can even be used as crepe and pastry filling.
Here are some more great cheese making recipes:
Check out also our Collection of Cheese Making Supplies
Cheese Wrapping Papers